Chugging Along in Chattanooga

Christine:
I come from a long line of native Californians (Thanks, Mom!) and I am partial to the beauty and variety along the eclectic California coastline--from the sunny southern beaches to the foggy San Francisco Bay area to the rugged, driftwood dotted Northern Coast south of Oregon.

But I love to travel and have recently discovered house-sitting. I am doing my first sit (5 months!) with 6 cats in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Affectionately called Chatt by the locals, it has an eclectic downtown, including the refurbished Chattanooga Choo Choo of Glenn Miller fame.

Although I am here mostly to work (I am a writer and publisher), I am enjoying the southern friendliness, the experience of changing seasons and walks along the Tennessee River. I remember learning in elementary school (eons ago!) about the innovative (for its time) TVA.

Hunter Museum
I also find myself growing close to the kitties, who all have such distinct and precious personalities, from the aging matriarch who walks slowly with arthritis yet commands the whole household to the 7-year old 'youngster of the bunch' that thinks she's still a playful kitten. I've never been around so many cats at once and I'm learning there is a cat culture, with a few characteristics that would enhance those of humans, including the respect shown for age. ;)

Comments